Saturday, June 16, 2007

Tonight's Specials

The girls have a hand-me-down easel/chalkboard that lives outside most of the summer. Last year, I started writing the evening's menu on it before Bryan got home. It was fun to make dinner sound as fancy as I could. Most evenings, it didn't require much gussying up since we were exploring so many new vegetables. This spring, we have cheerfully renewed the habit. It makes family dinner just that much more special and (I hope) is a welcoming tradition for my hard-working husband. One night this week (when we had friends over), it said...

Tonight's Specials
Garlic Scape Pesto with Pitas
Potato Kale Soup
Homemade Ten-Grain Bread
Strawberry Shortcake

Tonight, (if I had written on it) it would have read...

Gnocchi with Swiss Chard, Spring Onions and Garlic Scapes
Fresh-baked Challah

Last night it just said...

Movie and Ice Cream

If you had to choose, which special would you order?

3 comments:

Robin M. said...

Yum. I can't choose, they all sound great!

Tonight would have been an impressive menu at our house - an Indian feast for Father's Day. Yesterday would have read:

Baked beans with hotdog slices
Corn muffins with olallieberry jam

At least it was all from scratch and it used up a bunch of stuff out of the pantry, even if it wasn't really a balanced meal.

Thanks for the comment on my blog!By any chance did we meet when I was up in Yamhill County last summer, at the Koskela's house?

Bethany said...

I don't think I was at the Koskela's, but we may have met at NFC. Or maybe we will if you're up again. I've enjoyed getting to know you through your writing, but would like even more to meet you in person.

Alan said...

I'm with Robin on this ... mostly. I'd go with it all, especially the bread, except the shortcake. I'll eat a lot of different things, but the berry family is not my thing.

In fact, I have some easy-to-follow rules on desserts: 1) No fruit in dessert, and 2) If it ain't chocolate, it ain't dessert.

:)